We hope you have been enjoying our “grow your Christmas menu” series. Let’s use those strawberries you have grown!
Home Made Strawberry Icecream:
- 500 grams strawberries
- 175 grams caster sugar (plus 2 tablespoons)
- 500 ml full fat milk
- 500 ml double cream
- 1 vanilla pod
- 10 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Hull and roughly chop the strawberries, put them into a bowl and sprinkle over the 2 tablespoons of caster sugar and leave them to steep and infuse with flavour.
- Pour the milk and cream into a heavy-based saucepan, and add the vanilla pod, split down the middle lengthways. Bring the pan nearly to the boil and then take it off the heat and leave to infuse for 20 minutes.
- In a large bowl whisk the egg yolks and the 175g / ¾ cup sugar until thick and pale yellow. Take the vanilla pod out of the milk and cream and pour, whisking the while, the warm liquid over the yolks. Put the cleaned-out pan back on the heat with the cream, milk, egg and sugar mixture and stir the custard until it thickens, then take it off the heat and pour it into a bowl to cool.
- Puree the strawberries in a processor, and when the custard is cool fold in the lemon juice and strawberry puree.
- At this point you can either freeze the ice cream in an ice-cream maker, or in a plastic tub in the freezer. If you do the latter you should whip it out every hour for 3 hours as it freezes and give it a good beating, either with an electric whisk, by hand or in the processer. That gets rid of any ice crystals that form and that make the ice cream crunchy rather than smooth.
See recipe here: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/strawberry-trifle/
Cut up strawberries, bananas and any other fruit you desire and string onto a skewer. Sprinkle some melted chocolate ontop and voila! Definitely an easy and lighter dessert option.
Strawberry and Vanilla Custard Slice:
- 1 sheet (25 x 25cm) frozen ready-rolled puff pastry, just thawed
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 160ml (2/3 cup) bought vanilla custard
- 16 strawberries, washed, hulled, thinly sliced
- Icing sugar, to dust
- Step 1
Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Cut the pastry sheet into 4 even squares. Cut each square in half to make 8 rectangles. Place the pastry pieces on the lined tray. Use a fork to prick the pastry all over. Bake in oven for 10 minutes or until puffed and golden. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool. Use a large serrated knife to split the pastry pieces in half horizontally.
- Step 2
Spread the cut side of half the pastry pieces evenly with jam and custard. Top with strawberries and the remaining pastry pieces. Dust with icing sugar and serve immediately.
And, we would not forgot the ever faithful, Aussie favourite Pavlova! Top with you fresh, home grown strawberries!