Hot Cross Bun Doughnuts
These bite size morsels are a fun Easter take on the much loved doughnut!
- 3 cups (450g) plain flour
- 60g chilled butter, chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup (55g) caster sugar, plus ½ cup (100g) extra
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon, plus 1 tsp extra
- 2½ tsp (10g) dry yeast
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ¾ cup (190mL) warm water
- ½ cup (95g) milk chocolate bites
- 395g condensed milk
- 180g dark chocolate
- Hot Cross Bun Paste
- ¼ cup (35g) plain flour
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 2-3 tbsp chilled water
- Combine flour and butter in medium bowl, rub in butter until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in salt, caster sugar, mixed spice, cinnamon and yeast.
- Place mixture in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook; add combined warm water and egg; beat for 10 mins on low speed, until it forms a soft and slightly sticky dough. Place on a lightly floured surface, kneed by hand 2-3 minutes until smooth and elastic. Divide into 24 pieces incorporating some milk choc bites.
- Make Hot x bun Paste: In a small bowl combine flour, sugar and chilled water, spoon into a small piping bag with a small round nozzle, pipe crosses onto tops of each ball. Allow the dough to prove in a warm place for 45 minutes or until the balls have doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy based pan, place condensed milk and dark chocolate, stir over medium heat until chocolate has melted and sauce has thickened slightly.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan, using a thermometer heat the oil to 180˚C. Carefully lower the dough rounds into the oil and fry for 2-3 minutes each side until golden brown. Using a slotted spoon lift the balls from the hot oil and drain on absorbent paper, toss in extra caster sugar and cinnamon.
Article source: www.bakers-corner.com.au/recipes/bread/hot-cross-buns/mini-hot-cross-bun-doughnuts